English Martyrs School is one of the oldest Roman Catholic Schools on Merseyside. Lord Sefton donated a small plot of land in 1845 to a group of local farmers, who subsequently built a small school on the corner of what are now Church Road and school Lane. The all age school flourished for many years in a parish served by the Holy Sepulchre church within Ford Cemetery. The first real expansion took place in the 1930's with the additional 4 classrooms and ancillary accommodation. This coincided with the consecration of a new church which became central to the newly re-named parish of English Martyrs. The war years saw large housing development and subsequent additions of a Horsa Hut in 1946 and Uniseco Building in 1948. Numbers grew to approximately 600 until the Secondary School of St. Wilfrid's was opened and all age education was introduced. 1959 saw the building of a new Hall and two classrooms, which was supposed to be the start of a new school building. This programme was abandoned by the Archdiocese and as such for the next forty years the children were educated in four separate buildings.
Despite these continuously deteriorating buildings, the school has always achieved both academically, and as a focal point for Parish life and activity. English Martyrs has always been an active parish with committed parishioners for whom the school has fond memories. Support is automatic and English Martyrs pupils have gone out into the world and earned recognition, whilst always remembering their roots. The school's catchment area is diverse. Until the creation of Sefton M.B.C. the school was part of Lancashire Education. The creation of Sefton in 1973 had considerable effect upon the area. Several local estates have not flourished and their neglect has been mirrored in the social makeup of the district. The growth of Seaforth Freeport has brought huge increase in traffic upon the once tranquil Church Road, which borders the site.
The creation of a parents action group in 1989 saw a concerted effort to pressure L.E.A. Government and Archdiocese to re-build the school. Parental strength and desire for the best for their children was overwhelming. The campaign reached fruition and in 1997 Bishop Malone opened a magnificent new school building. Teachers, Governors and parents all had input into its design which, was aimed at purposeful accommodation specifically shaped to facilitate teaching excellence.
The new Nursery was built on the site of the old car park on Moss Lane and was officially opened by Bishop Tom Williams on 31st May 2012.